Free time

Carly
With all this free time I think I'll finally write that novel, working title is Moby Dick Part II, not sure what it's about yet. Maybe a relaxing fishing trip.
What are you all doing with the free time?

Re: Free time

Lisa Titan
I am working Monday through Friday 8:30-3:30 for one of those "essential jobs" and on my days off I cleaned my house and yard a lot. Haven't quite figured out how to make the most yet. I get inspired and think I am adapting and then fear of changes grips me and not sure how to proceed. I think I will just use any extra time to be.

Re: Free time

Tatiana
Aww! I too want to write a novel :) I love your fishing trip idea, Carly.

Re: Free time

Tatiana
Lisa! thank you for being our heroine, and working during this time. Such courage and demand must take a lot out of you. I resonate with these waves of inspiration and fear, and have been spending a good amount of time trying to manage the fear/stress and use the inspiration as best as I can. Besides sorting and cleaning (a favorite) I have gotten quite into using Calm, a popular app for guided meditations, sleep and anxiety support. I also love slow stretching with breath. And writing/journaling... Curious to know what others are doing.

Re: Free time

Susan Berg
I haven't done a single productive thing (other then my usual work, which I usually do from home half of the week, anyway). I have been watching some really cheesy Netflix rom coms, though. And I discovered the horribly addictive show Love is Blind (via a workout game, similar to a drinking game, but with squats instead of shots).

Re: Free time

Susan Berg
Oh, and I made Adam watch an episode of Cheer on Netflix, for my birthday. I don't think he liked it as much as I do.

Re: Free time

Tatiana
Oh hey, Susan, happy belated birthday,<3 xoxo I too will watch Cheer in your honor :) Thanks for the tips about the shows, always love these. I agree, being productive is a challenge to me too. Ironically, there is so much more communication during this time of social distancing. I find myself being more social than usual, of course it feels very different. I look forward to have a Zoom tai chi class and see you all, I miss our gatherings.

I always wanted to get into botanical illustration and so I am gathering information about my first botanical to illustrate. Garlic! I am a huge fan of it and now that no one can smell me, oooh (Mark is on board) :)

Re: Free time

Lisa Titan
I am curious what zoom and cheer are.

Re: Free time

Tatiana
So Cheer is a documentary on Netflix about a cheer squad. I haven't seen it yet but will take a look soon. Zoom is a video conferencing tool that many folks working from home are using these days. It allows groups of people to be present and hold a meeting. So we can do a real time class with Zoom. Let me know if you would be interested. So far 6 or 7 people said yes to that idea.

Re: Free time

Lynda
I am enjoying the online Tai Chi sessions. I am tired by the end, so they are workouts for me. I am doing more meditation. There's a free series of classes on lionsroar.com/courses. It's called something like "in The Footsteps of the Buddha." The teachers are senior monks and lay dharma teachers in the Plum Village/Thich Nhat Hanh tradition. Three hours a day of talks and guided meditations that started Wednesday and ends Friday. All the material is  free through Sunday. Otherwise, I am reading mystery novels, my favorite escape, and doing a little bit of political work. Glad to hear about everyone.

Re: Free time

Lynda
PS I would be interested in a class on Zoom next week.

Re: Free time

Lisa Titan
Yes I would be interested in a zoom class. It sounds hard to move and interact through a screen at the same time.

Re: Free time

Tatiana
Great! And yes, it would be interesting to see how we all do.

Re: Free time

Sharon Jones
I would be interested in a Zoom class, however, with our restricted floor space in our house, I am wondering how it will actually work.  I am taking a Pilates zoom class and a Gyrokinesis zoom class and even though there is movement it doesn't require a lot of space....just enough for a yoga mat and also a stool for gyro. I could dress like I'm going to be at Laurelhurst and put my MacBook on the picnic table on our patio and have a little more room.

I am spending time communicating with friends and relatives by phone and email. Some we haven't talked to in a long time! One hour to an hour an a half a day(Mon through Fri), I am tutoring my 7 year old grandson in Louisville by Skype in math and writing. It is fun and challenging. I am now into a fantasy fiction trilogy, escapism. I can't do fiction that may be depressing/realistic or the same with nonfiction. My other escape is googling comedy on youtube.