Virtual Class 11

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Today we have a slightly shorter video working with the first 4 of the 8 powers in TaiJi Quan.  Peng, An, Lu and Ji are repeated throughout the forms and are chief concepts in both Yang and Chen styles. In addition I invite you to follow along with a Ba Duan Jin video I created back in 2014.  If you have never done this beautiful Qi Gong form you are in for a treat.  Just follow along and have fun with it. Starting next week we will take a deep dive into each movement.

As a special treat Tatiana has included a fantastic resistance band routine for the upper body.  So if you have some big rubber bands get them out and enjoy.

Re: Virtual Class 11

Mary Real
Thanks to both of you for keeping us moving and motivated. Tatiana, I appreciate you reintroducing me to my exercise bands. I've been doing weights, but forgot I have all these bands from PT for my shoulders, that I can use.

Mark, I really appreciate the lesson on the 8 powers.
I hope you continue with the next 4, because those are the hardest for me to remember. The chen exercise is interesting and challenging for me. You said that the feeling in ji is different than that in yang style. Can you elaborate? Is there down in it? Is it more of a fa jin feeling?

Looking forward to the ba duan jin lessons.

Re: Virtual Class 11

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Mary,  The feeling of Ji is the same in Yang and Chen, but the movement looks different.  The Chen style Ji looks like the Yang style An (press).  The feeling of press in Yang style is downward (An), the movement that looks like press in the Chen exercise is Ji (in Yang this would be push). I am not sure if I am clarifying anything or making it more confusing by write this answer...  ?!?

Re: Virtual Class 11

Mary Real
Okay, is the movement of ji in chen slightly down or slightly up, or neither? Or is it a feeling of release like in yang?

Re: Virtual Class 11

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Ji is always ji whether in Chen or Yang.  Ji is a releasing the bow and/or taking the space.  An is press and has a downward action. An is always an whether in Chen or Yang.

The confusion is in the physical appearance of Chen style Ji looking like Yang style An.  It is just the physical appearance though, not the internal movement of power.

Re: Virtual Class 11

Mary Real
Thanks, Mark. This is something I will just have to work a lot on to understand and feel! Will you be showing the other 4 powers?

Re: Virtual Class 11

Mary Real
Thanks, Mark. This is something I will just have to work a lot on to understand and feel! Will you be showing the other 4 powers?

Re: Virtual Class 11

Jan Grissett
I like your commentary on the first 4 powers and really enjoyed your video on Ba Duan Jin especially since it was in nature. Tatiana, I also did your stretching routine with the resistance band. Thank you both.

Jan

Re: Virtual Class 11

Sharon Jones
I did Tat's video on stretching for upper body for the second time.  I found it quite helpful, especially showing me the areas where I am tight.

I also followed your video on the 4 powers again.  Doing it twice helped me absorb it better.  Also, it made me think I should also have been doing the Chen form. So many things to learn.

Your video on Pressing the heavens was excellent so I could practice focusing on the breathing.  It is something I will be working on for a while.

Re: Virtual Class 11

Sharon Jones
I'm still behind and trying to catch up.  I did the standing, Lie, and Ba Duan Jin #2. Each class has something I need to review.  It was fascinating to think about splitting in different parts of the form and the body. In Ba Duan Jin #2, I must have remembered the reverse breathing from previously practicing this.  It actually seemed natural when you talked about inhaling and exhaling with the movement. I think I have always had a harder time extending the exhaling in normal breathing. Need to practice that more also.

Re: Virtual Class 11

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Breath control is challenging, but slow and steady progress is key.  Don't be in a rush to extend the exhale, just let it happen.