Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Good morning! Today we explore Yang Cheng Fu's 10 Essential Principle number 3:  Song the waist. – Song Yao -鬆腰.  In addition, Tatiana has given us a wonderful bonus video to help stretch our neck and shoulders.

Please join us on the forum! Tatiana and I will be online during and after the regular class times to answer questions and read comments.  Thank you for your support and for keeping the Tai Chi Life community together.

Re: Virtual Class 3

aberg8

Hey Mark, we are trying to keep up, however, I'm missing something.  As you can see in the photo, Susan should be lower.  However, when I tell her to get lower, it doesn't seem to work.  Any pointers on how I can match your success in telling Susan to lower her stance?
--Adam

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I seem to have a similar problem with Tatiana. I am beginning to suspect that it may be a problem of proximity.

Oh by the way.  Susan, I see you... your too tall....  relax your shoulders...  your using too much arm...  don't give up your neck when you speed up...   You had it for a second but tightened up again.

Adam,  that is all arm...  use your legs more and shift your weight...  stop using a karate stance...   move those shoulders!...  OK now you're moving your shoulders but they are not linked too your legs.

Hope that helps.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Beverly Wong
I am finding these online classes very helpful. It is a way to go deeper into the movement. I don't think I knew of this principle, Song the waist, but I'm sure you have talked about it in class. Thank you to you both!

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I think there is something about this format that is helping people to go deeper into individual concepts.  I am so glad you could join us today.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Mary Real
Hello! I joined a little late and just finished, because we were having internet slowness. Excellent class. I'm really enjoying the deeper exploration of these principles, some of which I've found confusing. The idea that you song the waist seems contradictory to the idea of the waist controlling your movement. But in the examples you used for instance the closing move, when you talk about not twisting, but letting the legs drive the waist, I think it trains the waist to control your movement within a functional range, ie. one in which you don't over turn and strain the back or other muscles.

I also like it when you give different angles, which can help those of us who are a bit dyslexic to figure out which side is which...since we usually follow you from the back.

I will be repeating this lesson.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Mary, I think people often get confused with the idea of song.  Movement is always a mix of work and relax.  The more we can relax a body part the more we can use it.  If the waist is not song it becomes tight and difficult to move, but if it is relaxed it is can be used efficiently.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Lisa Titan
I don't get what you guys are talking about. How can you tell all that from a photo and how did Adam get a photo of him and Susan anyway. Also Susan's stance looks good. Are you guys joking?

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I am always watching o.O

Yes, we are joking around.

Re: Virtual Class 3

aberg8
First Clue:  Whenever Adam says anything, he is probably not serious.  Unfortunately, that renders this statement about taking not taking Adam seriously as something you shouldn't take seriously.
Argh!  Is that Tautological?
--Adam

Re: Virtual Class 3

Lisa Titan
Thank goodness I am not as clueless as I often think I am. Or maybe I am glad that I am as clueless as I think I am not?
On line tai chi is as inigmatic as in person.

The key stone concept really helped me in class 3. Plus principal 3 helped principal 2 which helped #1.

Yay!

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sharon Jones
I just finished all of Song the Waist. I have done the first video 3 times. And I hope to repeat these last 2 as many times as I can. Thanks to both you and Tat for doing this. I guess I can't speed up right now because I lose it when I speed up.  The videos really help because I can repeat and catch things the second or third time that I missed previously.  As you know, I am a slow body/mind learner. For me repetition helps and I am so glad you are going to back to the basics.  Tat, thanks for the warm ups and neck stretch/relax videos.  Those have helped me also. These times are very stressful and I wish I could get another shiatsu energy massage.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sharon Jones
oops should have edited
repeat the videos at least 2 more times

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
That's great that you are going back and re watching the videos.  I think we all benefit from as much repetition as possible.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Carly
Thanks Mark and Tatiana for the helpful videos!
I learned how the sacrum is the keystone for our leg bridge because once I stopped trying to leap into the air during standing everything structure wise was just there holding me up. If that makes sense.

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sharon Jones
For the ending Shing Yee, I always thought at Lan Su that you were turning more to the right and then coming back to center.  After watching this video for the second time, I believe you turn to the right, then to the left and come back to center. Is this correct?

Re: Virtual Class 3

Sifu Mark
Administrator
In the Xing Yi ending, I am turning to the right when the hands are all the way open.   When the arms are extended up word I am turned to the left.  When my hands have come down to chest height I am centered.