Virtual Class 4

12

Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Welcome to Virtual Class 4.  First, Tatiana and I move forward and backward in short Yi Quan video. Then join me in an exploration of Yang Cheng Fu's 10 Essential Principles # 4:  Differentiate between xu and shi. – Fen Xu Shi - 分虛實.
(There were some issues in recording this video so I apologize for the quality. In my experimentation, I think I figured out a few things and I expect the audio and video quality to be much improved in the future.)

What you think about xu shi?  How does this concept affect your movement and balance? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Pat

Re: Virtual Class 4

Pat
Thank you for the today's warm-up and Xu/Shi class. I've always thought differentiating between xu and shi was the most important principle, or maybe it's just the one I enjoy working on the most. It's easy to see this principle at work in the large weight shifting movements, but new to me was the idea of differentiating xu/shi even in the more subtle arm movements, from one side of the arm to the other, and so on throughout the body. Wow, thanks for blowing my mind a little bit today! I needed that. And, just want to say I didn't notice any issues with the video.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I think you are right in xu/shi's importance.  Without it everything seems to get muddy.   I am glad you enjoyed today's class.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Mary Real
Both warmups and class seemed very natural and no problem was apparent to me. I realized you could apply xu and shi within the foot as well as the rest of the body. I am liking the drills that use parts of the form on both sides. One can train the unfamiliar side by mirroring you. I'm wondering if one of your chen applications could include the green dragon drill that you developed.  I think it would help to train the side we don't do in the form, which is always hard for me. Thanks.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sharon Jones
Thank you for the Xi/Shi explanation and practice.  I really liked how you took it into the different parts of the body.  Every practice online has given me new knowledge and more to practice.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Susan Berg
I haven't had a break from work yet today (other than a quick walk at lunch), so just getting to this now. Based on Pat's comments, I expect this to be mind-blowing. No pressure, Mark.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I think it is a good idea to start adding more Chen style techniques to the videos (even though these are Yang Cheng Fu's points).  I am thinking about doing some short separate videos of specific drills.  The green dragon drill would defiantly be on the list.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Welcome to the party Susan!

Re: Virtual Class 4

aberg8
 Any comments on stance today?
--Adam

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
At last! You are figuring out how to relax while standing.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Lisa Titan
I have two questions that might be the same a d which I feel like I should know the answer to.

In the foward back video when you and Tat were standing the first 3 minutes were you moving forward and back even though you looked still? Also where was the xu and shi when one is standing?

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I was mostly still and focused on structure in the standing.  It probably would have been a good addition to ad movement to the standing.

Xu/shi  should always be present.  Sometimes it is in parts of the foot (front of foot to back of foot or inside of foot to outside of foot) and sometimes slightly shifting from foot to foot (if your standing is very active). Xu/shi  is a spectrum, not a hard line, so sometimes the difference is very clear and sometimes it is very subtle, but if it is not actively present you will be double weighted.
Thanks for a great question.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Beverly Wong
For isolation, I still can get very busy and I wasn't able to actually watch the 4th class about xu and shi and the warm up of forward and back. I find that I am able to really focus during these classes even if I have felt scattered and distracted most of the day and that has been often. This is a great benefit of these classes. Sometimes I get confused about if I should be mirror imaging you (most of the time), but when we actually do some of the Yang short form, I no longer mirror image and it gets confusing. The concepts of xu and shi are feeling less foreign now. Thank you for this wonderful resource. I wish more of the class would weigh in. It would be good to hear other view points. Oh well, I am thrilled with this addition to my practice.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Making these videos helps me to pull in from the "scatted and distracted" feelings as well.  I know that mirroring can be confusing.  Do you think it would be helpful if I shot some of the video with my back to the camera?

Re: Virtual Class 4

Travis Bray
"The green dragon drill would defiantly be on the list."

That green dragon is a defiant one! Maybe that's why I like him so much ;-)

I was under the weather a couple of days this week so I'm behind again. I anticipate doing VC5 tomorrow and joining you all for tea to discuss on Monday. I'm looking forward to the Chen drills!

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Glad your feeling better and I look forward to seeing you on Monday!

Re: Virtual Class 4

Beverly Wong
Perhaps, when you do the side view that is definitely helpful. Sometimes I stand perpendicular to my screen so I can still see what you are doing and follow along on the same foot, arm, etc.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Tatiana
Susan! It is so lovely to see you! Looks like you figured our the work and relax dilemma :)

Re: Virtual Class 4

Lisa Titan
I kind of am enjoying the challenge of the mirror image. It engages my brain and I actually can observe your form more constantly than in live class where there are often people in front of me.

Anyway I haven't done #5 yet. I am having some interesting observations though outside of class. When I walk or jog with my dog I practice the principal's we have learned and interestingly I had some success on Friday when I was jogging I thought of the entire jog as one thing instead of separate moments or steps and then I had some several minutes of success with doing the first 3 principal's at once.
Then today I was on a hike with Laika again and I was observing xu/shi in my glutes and I noticed that if I tried to control it I would get that double weighted thing and it wasn't natural, but if I just observed it than I could really "distinguish" between xu and shi.
Also I realized that I had an injury for about 15 years that eventually got fixed but that I compensated by tightening certain muscles when I did certain moves and that inhibited the xu/shi flow and the old habits are still in my muscle memory.

Re: Virtual Class 4

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I love when people are able to bring tai chi away from the form and incorporate it into every day life.  That is what internal arts are really about!  Thanks for sharing this.
12