Virtual Class 5

Sifu Mark
Administrator
We are half way through Yang Cheng Fu's 10 Essential Principles!  In this class we explore #5 Sink the shoulders and weigh down the elbows. – Chen Lian Zhu Zhou - 沈肩墜肘.  I also added a short video with some Chen movements.  Let me know what you think.  Does this change the way you use your elbows and shoulders?

Re: Virtual Class 5

Beverly Wong
Sink the shoulders and weigh down the elbows is a principle I constantly remind myself. It just occurred to me sitting at my computer that all of these principles can be practiced even sitting in a chair. Also I really appreciated the Chen movements. If I am mirroring you, will this sort out once we are able to meet again? By the way your music was a very nice touch. Thank you for sharing another side of you. Also to Tatiana, I noticed that the painting was different on the wall. Has she been changing paintings each class? Love your art work, Tatiana. Enjoy the weekend!

Re: Virtual Class 5

Mary Real
Thank you, Mark, for including the green dragon drill. I'll probably wear out the computer running that one. The guitar music was inspiring, in many ways! I think that was the guitar you made, as well. Great class! I'm enjoying the changing gallery in the background, too. Looking forward to Monday.

Re: Virtual Class 5

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I don't think it will be a problem at all if you are mirroring me.   Sifu Fong used to have us learn movements on our weak sides before moving to or strong sides.  This would often be a whole day of only working something on the left.  It was always surprising how much easier it was to do on the right once he let us switch.

I have been changing the paintings for a bit of variety. The first class we had an etching by Stephen Leflar.  The photo that Tatiana used was one she had taken at the Lan Su Garden.  The photo I hung in the class 2 was by Carol Loverde. The video with both Tatiana and I had a watercolor we painted together when we first started dating.  All of the other paintings have been by Tatiana.

Re: Virtual Class 5

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Yes that guitar was the first one I built. I would love to display my prized Mary Real watercolor, but it is in a book.  I will have to figure that one out.

Re: Virtual Class 5

Tatiana
My tiny space set up. Trying to keep up and sink my shoulders and elbows, I think it is working.

Re: Virtual Class 5

aberg8
(Susan typing this:) Adam's immediate comment was, "She looks like a fighter!" Nice work :)
--Adam

Re: Virtual Class 5

Sharon Jones
I appreciated the explanation of the rotating gallery. Sometime, I would like to see each piece close up.

I am reminded that having the video capability also allows me to pause, rewind, replay, and take notes, unlike in class where it is hard to run and get a notebook.

I also have been mirroring you since I get confused between right and left sides.  Whatever side you start on, I feel the second side is a little easier to do.

Thank you so much for doing these videos. I am grateful for all the practice I can get.

Re: Virtual Class 5

Tatiana