Virtual Class 8

Sifu Mark
Administrator
8. Internal and external coordinate. – Nei Wai Xiang Ge - 內外相合

Re: Virtual Class 8

Susan Berg
It's fairly exhausting to be focused and aware during every single second of a class. Just have to keep coming back to it when the mind wanders.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Tatiana
Greetings all,
It's a rainy Saturday and I miss being in the park with you, practicing tai chi. But practice must go on :)
Here is my Class 8 reflection:
A super challenging principle for me but I really liked cultivating it.
The strategy I used to sustain my focus on task and keep my mind engaged: I kept naming the corporal experience/s in my head as my body moved and various sensations occurred. My mind found ways to wonder and it all fell apart when I tried to go fast, but... momentarily, it felt very satisfying and totally right when the brain and body were aligned during the slow movements.

Hope you have a good rest of your weekend.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Lisa Titan
Hi everybody. I hope you are all healthy and weathering the economic storm safely.

I have some questions about this class. The first is what was the internal work you were doing during the standing posture while you were reading the passages?

The second question is one I have grappled with my whole life and I am hesitant to ask. This principal brings my doubts about Tai chi and other doctrines into focus. The best I can word this question is why are humans able to practice and master these principal's and yet are able to find pleasure in causing pain and suffering to others. Basically why does the coordination and unity stop with ones body and not carry through to all of everything outside the body.
 If you are tempted to say that those glorified evil martial artists are only featured in movies my experience in life tells me otherwise.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Lisa Titan
I watched the Ted talk that you linked to the 8 brocade. I don't really need an answer to move past my doubts because I used RAIN on them. I probably will need to rain on my doubts quite often since that is a common barrier but at least I remembered that I had a tool for that. Thank you for all your teachings and I am sorry that I am so slow up the mountain.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Paul
Hey Mark,

Thanks to you and Tatania for the awesome classes. Very helpful.

You've been having us do Ward Off and Press a lot, which I appreciate, but in doing it I realize it would be helpful to see the applications of those two moves to help distinguish and clarify them. If you can work a demonstration in or even describe it in the forum that would be great.

Thanks for doing all this for us!

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Paul.  This will be a great topic for an up coming video, but I will give a quick explanation now.  Ward off is the archetypal movement for peng energy.  Peng can be described as away from center, centrifugal force or expansion.  Press in the archetypal movement for An.  An is pressing with a downward movement in a similar way to pressing in shiatsu or the way you press on the edge of a pool to get out of it.  I think I will do a video for Saturday on this topic.  Thanks for the question and I am glad you are able to keep training.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Lisa,  Lately my internal work during standing has been focused on feeling the difference between powers.  For example I will spend about two minutes expanding then slowly switch to lifting or sinking or some other power.  As I switch I will try to understand how it changes my body and my shen.   I should say that this is what I am working on now and is not necessarily what everyone else should be working on.  I see a new video topic here ;)

If I am reading the second question right, it goes to the imperfect nature of humans and why there is evil in the world. If I could give a clear answer to this I might receive a Nobel Prize.  I wish I could give you an answer, but I feel this is more suited to a heated discussion in a dark bar with a dark beer in my hand.  It is a great question and I would love to hear explanations from people that are wiser then myself.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sharon Jones
While viewing class #8 about Shen, I tried to take notes because some of what you said is not in the pull down section of Yang Cheng Fu's 10 essential principals.  Since I am not very familiar with pinying(not sure how to spell it, but the English writing of Chinese words) could you spell the other 4 parts of Shen after the heart shen for me.

As usual, I am behind, and I continue to do the lessons at least twice.  I hope you can leave these 10 essential principles on your website. I think it's great to go back and practice the lessons.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Five aspects of Shen:
Xin Shen - Heart Mind
Zhi - Willpower
Yi - Immediate Mind
Po - Corporeal Soul
Hun - Ethereal Soul

Re: Virtual Class 8

Lisa Titan
I think my question about#8 put another way is could I teach #8 at work? Presuming that I understood #8 correctly and that I was qualified and allowed to teach those teenagers about Tai Chi would #8 be problematic since often they have hurtful intention or instincts?

Plus in all honesty I have several further questions, philosophically, about #8 as well that would be best with beer.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sifu Mark
Administrator
This is one reason traditional martial arts training is usually restricted to people the teacher trusts.  All things are not appropriate for all students, but students can hopefully be guided to a place of compassion and peace.  If a person's Shen is unbalanced and disturbed it will be reflected in their movements.  According to Chen Xin, this person will never be able to master TaiJi Quan.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Lisa Titan
I don't mean to seem disrespectful but I am pretty sure my shen is unbalanced and disturbed and I suspect the mastery of Tai Chi is an oxymoron maybe?

The clients at work teach me that truth is ones personal perspective and Truth is the perspective we share. I don't want to do the truth with #8 unless I can do the Truth with #8.

As you can tell I am still stuck I will find a way around this barrier eventually and rejoin y'all when I get past #8 doubts.

No worries.

On the plus side covid 19 mitigation efforts seem to be good for the environment maybe?

If I can do "maybe" with my "whole being" than maybe I will get to do #9 ;) ?

Re: Virtual Class 8

Lisa Titan
Am I doing verbal push hands on the forum?

Re: Virtual Class 8

Paul
That's helpful Mark, thanks. And thank you both for aiding in my quarantined training. I'm getting a lot out of these videos.

Re: Virtual Class 8

Sharon Jones
Thanks for spelling the 5 aspects of shen for me in pinying.