Week 1 Virtual Class

12

Week 1 Virtual Class

aberg8
This post was updated on .
Susan and I are about to start our first virtual tai chi class.  Thank you Corona virus for the opportunity to practice using a laptop, just as they surely did in Chen village.
PS-I bet Karl started the class two minutes earlier.  Somethings never change.
--Adam

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Tatiana
This post was updated on .
Hi guys, and Karl.
Lets do this :)

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Welcome Susan and Adam!
Pat

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Pat
Hello! Just finished Episode 1. It was easy to do in my small space, imagining being with everyone. Looking forward to all the rest. Thank you, Mark!

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Thanks for joining us Pat!

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Karl
Caught up late this morning, but could follow on computer. This will be a good way to keep in touch and peer pressure to practice. Thanks.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Thanks for joining us Karl.  We always expect you to be the first one to class.  Since you were late, that will be 100 pushups.  ;)

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

janet
Great class. I'm glad that you emphasized lifting the head to the heavens because I haven't been doing that. After we focused on cloud hands at the last Lan Su class, my shoulders were really sore from overuse. Maybe I tensed my muscles too much. This time I didn't pull as much but I already feel like I've had a workout. Thank you!

Janet

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Thanks for joining us Janet!

If you lift your head it well be easier to relax your shoulders.  It is like a coat hanging on a coat hanger.  If the hanger is supported on a hook the sleeves will natural hang to the ground, but if we take it off the hook everything is just a jumbled pile on the floor.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Anyone looking for the full text of the 10 Essential Principals can find it here: https://www.thetaichilife.com/yang-cheng-fus-10-essential-principles.html.  This page is interactive you can click on links for the original Chinese or a separate link for a literal translation.  I hope this is helpful.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

~scarlett
Hello from Taos.  Wow!  What a treat.

Elevate the Crown and Lift the Spirit is a great first principle, something to bring into practice all day every day, most especially now. There is so much now that threatens to the spirit down.  It feels to me like the very act of elevating the crown calls my spirit to lift. The "trick" (as you remind me) is to keep bringing consciousness back to that intention and letting my spine lengthen and strengthen in the process.  Tai chi is miraculous!

Thank you for making the full text of Yang Cheng Fu's principles available.  It works for me to have some written words to study and contemplate along with your classes.

It was a delight to participate in your first online class, Mark and Tat.  I have missed your instruction, Mark, and your inspiration.  And your intensity, which comes across abundantly in the video.

Best wishes to everyone to stay well.  I miss you all.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Scarlett!  It is so good to hear from you.  Thank you for joining in.  As you point out elevate the crown and lift the spirit is so much more than physical.  It is great to have your wisdom and love brought to the group.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sharon Jones
Again, I joined this afternoon.  So, I really liked the recorded class.  Thanks to Mark and Tat both for doing this for us.  It was a joy to have your instruction again.  I will try to be on time on Thursday.

I so needed this class after being away for a while.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Sharon, I am so glad you could join us!  We will have more videos coming soon.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Julia
Just got through. So super. Nice to quietly practice without distraction in slow motion.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Julia, it's great you could join us.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Lisa Titan
It was very interesting to realize how I don't really lift the crown even though I think I do. When I did form later I only could keep it lifted when I thought about it and I realized that if I was in a battle I would be dead because I would be thinking about lifting crown excetra instead of being pummeled. Better to die with a straightish  neck.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Lisa Titan
Hi Scarlett
How is Taos? Have you found a crew to Tai chi with?

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Lynda
Amen to thanks.  I just finished the class. I like focusing on lifting the crown on the head. I miss you all and I am glad to connect in this way.

Re: Week 1 Virtual Class

Carly
Hi Scarlett, I've been thinking about you, glad you're online with us! Let's chat soon : )
12