Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Good morning everyone!  Join Tatiana for a short warm up to loosen all your joints.  Then we explore the second of Yang Cheng Fu's 10 Essential Principals:  Contain the chest, expand the back. – Han Xiong Ba Bei - 含胸拔背.    Lets chat a bit after class I would love to hear how you are all doing.
Pat

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Pat
Good morning Mark and Tatiana! Thank you for a great second class on the 10 Essential Principals. Loved doing warm ups with you Tatiana! It's so calming and reassuring during this strange time to have your video classes to ground us. Also, I'm amazed by how much we can actually move in small spaces. These are valuable skills to practice and so easy to review the videos whenever the time is right.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Tatiana
Good morning, Pat! Happy to have you here with us, moving! We are also learning about big small room potential :)

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Beverly Wong
Your second class was very informative, as your first class was. As a participant, I can really watch and absorb what you are doing and it is reaching a deeper level. When you were doing repulse monkey, I noticed how still your upper body was and didn't move as you stepped back. That was really helpful to see. Also, by sinking the chest I keep myself level. I have continued to practice tai chi and look forward to the next class. Thank you for doing this.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Pat, thanks for joining in.  In the past years I have trained in some large open areas, but I have also studied in rooms the size that I am currently practicing in.  Those classes could have 10 people in them with no air conditioning.  We are truly lucky to have a wonderful park most of the time, but we can always practice no matter what the location.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Beverly.  Your observation is a premonition.  The 10th principal is "Seeking stillness within movement".

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Tatiana
1. I liked the brush knee/repulse monkey combination you did in this class. First, it is perfect for my physically small practice space. Second, the juxtaposition really highlights the similarities and the differences of these movements for me.

2. I found it challenging to remember/pay attention and keep my chest sunk as I followed along. I would find it tighten up over and over. On the other hand, previous principle, elevating the crown was more familiar and easier to maintain. So yay! I expect the chest to follow suit with practice.

3. I am so glad nobody saw me trying to speed up my reverse monkeys! It all fell apart and sunk, except for the chest ;)

Sue

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sue
Hi Mark and Tatiana,
Thank you so much for doing these classes! Both the warm-up exercises Tatiana did and the class were great. They helped me to slow down and breath deeper. Much needed!!!
I think its interesting how having an online class, you need to teach differently than you do in person, so your instructions were in more detail. (or do I just miss more in the in-person class?) I learned concepts on a deeper level than I routinely practice.  Very helpful.
Thank you again for teaching classes remotely.
Why did you change paintings on wall between warm-up class and Mark's class?

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Hi Sue.  I think when practicing online we are less distracted and better able to internalize concepts.  It is much easier to stay on point.

I am happy you noticed the painting changes.  The first class we had an etching by our own Stephen Leflar.  The photo that Tatiana used was one she had taken at the Lan Su Garden.  The photo I hung in the last video was by Carol Loverde. She was an amazing woman and a part of the very first classes at the Lan Su garden.  Sadly, she past away about a year ago.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

~scarlett
What a gift this is, Mark & Tat!  Thank you.  Mark, I love how you make the movements into such effective drills.  Yeah, my legs were burning...  I especially liked the Chen drill.

I've been contemplating this quote, attributed to Jesus but who knows (someone who has studied the Bible, perhaps?):  "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.  If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."  I always feel like tai chi/yi quan/xing yi, when I truly get focused, brings forth what is within me.  Light and dark, good and bad.

And since I'm sending out unsolicited quotes from famous people (sorry! a pandemic artifact), here's another one, attributed to Nietzsche:  "The great epics of our lives are at the points when we gain courage to rebaptize our badness as the best in us."  Hmmm...

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I love the juxtaposition of the apostle Thomas and Nietzsche.  They are both great quotes and very appropriate for our time.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Lisa Titan
That was a really great class. Strangely I did better with sinking the chest consistently with brush knee and struggled the most with the closing movement.
My dog was super curious what I was doing and was either trying to play or staring out me in an adorable but distracting way. I might try to do next class somewhere outside away from my house.

Pat

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Pat
Mark, I opened the window next to my computer and it felt like Laurelhurst with a cold breeze blowing in!

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
If you stand in the shower you will get the full experience.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
Someone way over thought the whole tai chi for dog owners thing - https://thebark.com/content/tai-chi-and-dogs

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

~scarlett
Thank you for telling me the source of the Jesus quote.  Wasn't the apostle Thomas the one who split off from the others and went east?  This is embarrassing, but I'll ask anyway:  Does Thomas show up in the Bible?  (I do know something about Thomas, if I could only remember what.)

Woody was the one who knew the Bible.  I have never read it, in part as a personal protest to Christianity per se, which always seemed to me like strange, vindictive hocus-pocus. Woody, however, was reading his Bible instead of listening to the hocus-pocus.

For a while when we were living in Bellingham, Woody called himself Amos.  So I learned that Amos is the angry prophet in the Old Testament.  The Book of Amos, as I recall, is a about a page-and-a-half-long rant. I'll have to Google it to read it again.

This quarantine situation is making me so aware of my need for connection. Thank you for opening up this possibility.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sifu Mark
Administrator
I have not done any biblical studies since high school.  Well, may be a bit in collage philosophy classes.  I just googled Thomas and I think you are correct about his cannon not being in the bible.  He was Doubting Thomas after all.

Re: Week 2 Virtual Class

Sharon Jones
This is the second time I have done this Sink the chest, Expand the Spine class and each time, I have gotten more out of it.  I feel that being able to see all of you(I am always rushing to get my "spot" on the Lan Su Patio since I am so short)i and hear you(with my advancing age, I don't hear as well as I would like to).  Also when you turn and look at the camera, I feel you are looking right at me and talking to me.  It helps that I can pause and replay to catch something that I want to clarify.  I can also pause and take notes. Being able to do this video multiple times is wonderful.  Thanks for adding the Chen, maybe sometime you could add something for Sword form.